The next deadline for applications to the James River Arts & Cultural District Program is December 1, 2017. The City of Lynchburg's Arts & Cultural District Program is intended to attract citizens, organizations and partnerships that wish to create and implement projects within the District to benefit the welfare of the citizens of and visitors to Lynchburg. Grant projects may include events, activities, capital investments, promotions, improvements, or displays that serve to further arts and culture in the District.
The fund, administered by the City of Lynchburg’s Office of Economic Development & Tourism, is supported by amusement taxes collected by arts organizations in the James River Arts & Cultural District as well as a grant from the Virginia Commission for the Arts. Since its inception in 2012, the program has awarded 94 grants to various organizations for projects such as Percival’s Island LOVEworks sculpture, the Academy Center of the Arts’ Riverfront Park
Concert Series, Riverviews Artspace’s Beat Burg, The Listening, Through the Eyes of the Homeless: Photography by Residents of Miriam's House, Let’s Talk Fashion’s Central Virginia Fashion Week 2017 and many others.
Changes to the application and process in fiscal year 2017 include a revised ap
plication form, emphasis on collaboration and inclusivity, and some limits on how long projects may be funded:
- To see if your activity will qualify for funding, please check the District map. If your activity will take place in the pink highlighted area you are eligible to apply.
- Projects that have been funded by the grant program for more than 2 years are not eligible to apply for funding again without significant program innovation or change.
- Organizations may submit no more than two applications per fiscal year. This does not include organizations that host events through facility rental agreements.
- You will be required to submit a final report upon completion of your activity/project.
- Applications are due three times per fiscal year - August 1, December 1 and March 1.
Organizations, businesses and individuals wishing to apply can download the application. All applicants are requested to review the 'How to Apply' workshop prior to making application to the program. Staff is available to answer questions about the application process.